Saturday, February 20, 2010

Blink


(Miri on her way home from the hospital)

Tonight I tucked a very sleepy 3 year old into bed. Tomorrow morning when we wake up I will no longer have a 3 year old but a 4 year old. WOW! I am trying not to sound to cliche or sappy - wait who am I kidding this is MY blog and I will be as sappy and clichey as I want!!!

When Miri was first born everyone kept saying "enjoy it, it goes by so fast". As I new mom I heard the words, smiled and nodded, but I don't think I really "got it". Tonight I can say "I get it", at least as much as a mom of only 4 years can. See, I have this theory that as the kiddo gets older the years go by quicker.

After Miri's bedtime stories tonight, we brought out her baby book, looked at the pictures of her in my tummy, the pictures from the day she was born and all throughout her first year. We talk about her name and what it means (much hoped for child) and how much Mommy and Daddy loved her and how happy we are that she is our little girl. We talked about all the things she learned to do that first year, and how much she grew. I couldn't help but wonder when did she go from our baby to our little girl. From the helpless little being who depended on us for everything to the little kid in the car tonight who entertained us with stories of how to make "lava hot bubble hair" (apparently you have to get melty hot lava and pour it on your hair to get bubble hair!!!)


(Miri a couple of weeks shy of her 4th birthday)


I know I have said this before, but Miri is our miracle baby and I feel so lucky to have such a wonderful, smart and healthy sweet baby. I know that five years ago I couldn't/wouldn't allow myself to dream about these moments. Struggling through our infertility problems, it was so easy to loose yourself in despair and jealousy.I could never let my heart believe that this would be possible in an attempt to protect myself from anymore heartaches. But now I let my heart sing with joy at the blessing in my life and relish in my role of Mommy. And yes, I sometimes do feel like I blink and life is speeding along with us, but what a wonderful ride it all is!

(Miri singing her birthday song)

No comments: